Listen, I know it’s not the end of the year yet, and I know there’s still a good month left, but I’ll be slammed from here out, so I wanted to go ahead and get this done. So, here ya go, my Top 10 Albums of 2012. Feel free to add your top 10 in the comments section.
10. Walk the Moon, “WALK THE MOON.” Great release. Love the different voice, too.
9. Hawk in Paris, “Freaks.” So good, my last year’s #1 artist comes again, and this would score WAY higher with me if it was more songs, but at 3, it only leaves me panting for more, more! I mean, listen to “Freaks” and tell me this isn’t amazing stuff. You can’t.
8. Passion Pit, “Gossamer.” Go ahead, try and get the song “I Took A Walk” out of your head. I dare you. Better than the first, I feel.
7. Tall Ships, “Everything Touching.” So good, out of nowhere. Love it.
6. MxPx, “Plans Within Plans.” Classic MxPx. Just like I like ‘em. Bremerton’s finest.
5. Punch Brothers, “Who’s Feeling Young Now.” Seriously, best Punch Brothers album yet. I’ve liked, and kinda liked the other albums Chris has put together since leaving Nickel Creek, but none run on all cylinders like this one. This one doesn’t have any bad songs on it. Listen to “Movement and Location.” Musical genius, Mr. Thile is.
4. Of Monsters and Men, “My Head Is An Animal.” Icelandic GOLD. Every song. Can’t wait to see what they do next.
3. Silversun Pickups, “Neck Of The Woods.” Building off the strengths of their past two, this one starts at 90mph, and doesn’t let up till the end. Great driving music.
2. TIE: Avett Brothers, “The Carpenter.” When NPR pre-streamed this, I couldn’t stop listening to it. And now, I find myself listening to it once a week. This one captures every bit about the Avetts I love the most. Ballads, jams, you name it, this one’s got it front to back. So good.
Quiet Hounds, “Megaphona.” This Atlanta band has quickly become one of my favorite current bands. Love it, love it, love it.
1. Mumford & Sons, “Babel.” I’ll be honest, I thought this one would be overrated. I was wrong. This album is as solid as it gets for me. Top to bottom, every song tugs on my heart strings, and is melodic treasure. I’m imagining this one is in a lot of folks top 3 albums this year. For me, it’s Numero Uno.
And now for the disappointments:
1. The Ting-Tings, “Sounds From Nowhere.” A couple of good ones, a bunch of duds. Love “Hang It Up”, “One By One.” I mean, what the heck is the deal with “Day By Day”???
2. Counting Crows, “Underwater Sunshine.” Love “Four White Stallions”, which is classic Crows, love “Jumping Jesus”. The rest of it sounds too jam-bandish.
3. Crystal Castles, “(III).” Alice Glass’ vocals are lost in the background of the whole album. Very sad.
4. Fanfarlo, “Rooms Filled With Light.” Reworked versions of their original version with some new ones. But the new ones are just ok. Loved their first record.
5. Sleigh Bells, “Reign of Terror.” A couple of good ones, a bunch of duds. Love “Comeback Kid” and “Crush.” The rest, meh.